The History of Zhejiang University of Technology
The development of Zhejiang University of Technology went through five stages: Hangzhou Chemical Engineering School administered by the Ministry of Heavy Industry of the Central Government, Zhejiang Secondary Chemical School, Zhejiang Chemical College, Zhejiang Institute of Techology and Zhejiang University of Technology.
1. Hangzhou Chemical Engineering School (June, 1953 — June, 1958)
In June，1953, the Ministry of Heavy Industry merged Wenzhou Industrial School of Zhejiang Province, the Chemical Division of Hangzhou Industrial School of Zhejiang Province and Chemical Division of Suzhou Senior Technical School of Jiangsu Province into Hangzhou Chemical Engineering School administered by the Ministry of Heavy Industry of the Central Government and selected Hangzhou City as its location. The campus occupied an area of 16 hectares. The School was composed of three departments: Organic Technology, Analytical Chemistry and Chemical Machinery with 835 students and a staff of 152, of which 60 were teachers.
2. Zhejiang Secondary Chemical School (June, 1958 — August, 1960)
In June 1958, the name of the School was officially changed to Zhejiang Secondary Chemical School and commenced recruiting students at technical secondary level. The School offered programs for five majors such as Fundamental Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Chemical Machinery and Organic Compound. The period for the academic study was two years. The School also recruited junior middle school students who took a five-year program, majoring in Chemical Machinery and Chemical Engineering (This was later changed into a two-year preparatory program, the graduates of which had to take the entrance examination for the admission into college). With the development of the School, the number of the majors amounted to 12, of which 7 programs including Organic Technology, Analytical Chemistry, Chemical Machinery, Oil Refinement Techniques, Organic Chemistry, and Chemical Instruments were offered at the technical secondary level. The School had 1975 registered full-time students, among whom technical secondary school students took up 24 %. The School had a staff of 357, of which 130 were teachers.
3. Zhejiang Chemical College (February, 1960 — October, 1980)
In February, 1960, Zhejiang Secondary Chemical School merged with Quzhou Secondary Chemical School. Thus, Zhejiang Chemical College was founded. The new campus was located at the foot of Lan Ke Mountain, 12 kilometers south of Quzhou City. In September when the academic year started, teaching was carried out on both campuses in Hangzhou and Quzhou. The College at this period had 2176 registered full-time students, of which 523 were undergraduate students, 284 were polytechnic students and 1369 were secondary-school students. The College had a staff of 895, of which 233 were teachers. The College offered 8 undergraduate programs including High Polymer Chemistry, Basic Organic Compound, Chemical Machinery, Inorganic Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Fluorine Chemistry, Chemical Fiber, Oil and Coke Refinement, 5 programs of polytechnic level, including Organic Techniques, Basic Organic Compound, Chemical Machinery, High Polymer Chemistry and Electrochemistry, and other 7 programs of junior college education.
The College was at first named Wu Xijiang Chemical College and in August, 1962, it was renamed as Zhejiang Chemical College. The number of the students decreased to 660 (not including 348 technical secondary students). Meanwhile the College moved out of Hangzhou campus and it was restored to Hangzhou Secondary Chemical School. In July 1963, Zhejiang Chemical College moved back to Hangzhou, sharing the same campus with Zhejiang Secondary Chemical School, and took the leadership of the School. In November, 1965, the College moved back to Quzhou campus while Zhejiang Secondary Chemical School remained on Hangzhou campus. In July, 1970, Hangzhou Secondary Chemical School was canceled and a staff of 147 with the facilities rejoined Zhejiang Chemical College.
In 1977 the College started to offer new programs such as Industrial Analysis, Insecticide Chemistry, Electric Automation, and Machinery Manufacture in addition to the previous undergraduate programs of Inorganic Techniques, Basic Organic Compound and Chemical Machinery. This is a breakthrough for the single-curriculum of chemical science. In 1978 the College added the program of Chemical Equipment Antirust so that the total number of majors reached 8. The annual undergraduate recruitment was over 330 students and the College had a staff of 784, of which 270 were teachers. In 1979, for the first time the College started recruiting graduate students majoring in Chemical Machinery and Physical Chemistry. The College had 5 Scientific Research Departments and 31 laboratories. The total value of the facilities and equipment reached 2,890,000 Yuan and the library had over 300,000 volumes of books.
4. Zhejiang Institute of Techology ( February 1978 — October 1992)
In February 1978, it was planned that Zhejiang Institute of Techology was to be established. Hangzhou was chosen to be the location. With an area of 29 hectares, the College was designed to accommodate 3000 students. In January 1979, Hangzhou campus was built and 429 students were recruited. The College set up 7 off campus teaching stations in various factories, enterprises, work units and offered courses at the polytechnic level. Up to August 1980, the College built 5000 square meters of classrooms and accommodation and recruited a staff of 180 from different parts of the country.
In August 1980, with Zhejiang Chemical College as the base, the College was merged into Zhejiang Institute of Techology with Quzhou as its sub-campus. The number of majors increased to 12, of which 11 were at the undergraduate level and the number of students increased to 667 with 65 students majoring in Civil Engineering on main campus in Hangzhou while 564 freshmen and 1276 seniors on sub-campus. Starting from 1981, the staff, books, instruments and equipments were gradually moved to Hangzhou and this process ended in 1984.
Between 1980 and 1992, the College developed at a fast pace. The campus expanded to 160,000 square meters and the number of students increased from 629 to 1265. By the end of 1992, the courses were offered at graduate, undergraduate and polytechnic levels for 4247 students in 35 majors encompassing education in advanced engineering, business and administration, vocational and teacher training. The number of students enrolled at adult education reached 1551. The College had a staff of 1631, of which 671 were teachers with an asset worth of 80,000,000 Yuan, among which the teaching instruments and equipment valued 19,440,000 Yuan. The library had 650,000 volumes of books and 3300 kinds of both Chinese and Foreign journals and periodicals. From 1993 on, the College started to build up exchange programs and cooperation with universities in various countries such as Japan, America and Germany. Until 1992, the College set up 8 departments and 4 schools with 4 key disciplines and 1 provincial key laboratory. They were Departments of Chemical Engineering, Mechanics, Electronic Engineering, Civil Engineering, Public Administration, Light Industry, Computer Science, Vocational Education and Schools of Social Science, Fundamental Education, Physical Education and Adult Education. In addition, the college set up affiliated organizations and services such as school factories, hospital and nursery.
5. Zhejiang University of Technology ( December 1991— Now )
On December 16, 1991 Zhejiang Provincial Government signed the contract of donation with Mr. Zhang Ziliang, a Taiwan entrepreneur, whose hometown was in Jianxing, Zhejiang. The main contents of the contract included a donation of US $10,000,000 for building Zhejiang University of Technology. The Provincial Government was to allocate an additional grant of 60,000,000 Yuan for the construction.
On March 16, 1992, Zhejiang Provincial Government approved of the overall plan of Zhejiang University of Technology and allocated a land of 33 hectares for building 260,000 square meters of classrooms to accommodate 6000 students.
In December 1993, Zhejiang Institute of Techology was officially renamed as Zhejiang University of Technology.
In November 1994, Economic Administrative College of Zhejiang Province was merged into the University. In March 2001, Constructional Materials College of Zhejiang Province was merged into the University.